Tuesday, June 13, 2006

No More Weekend

*My apologies. This is yesterday's post, however, Blogger was being a horrible site yesterday and wouldn't let me post this in its entirety. So here it is now!*

Not that I was thrilled to come to work this morning either. It was just a weekend of mishaps.

First of all, on Friday, there were only three of us in the office: me, Brent and Phil. So Brent told me that he and Phil really didn't have any work to do and if I wanted, I should call Deanna to see if we could cut out at around 1 p.m. Looking back, I should've just told him to do it himself. But anyway, I called her and she said she'd call me back. Well she called Rob.... and then I got a phone call from Rob who wanted to talk to all three of us on speakerphone basically to berate us. "There are always things to do!" Ummm well no really, there are things to do but they all require either direction or approval from Rob. To me, he said that there is unlimited work as far as putting together new business lists (so if we wanted to break into the banking industry, I'm supposed to make a list of all the local banks with the name of their marketing director). Ok - first of all, new business is Rob's job. I am totally fine with making the lists but I need some industries first. We're trying to break into health care but while some hospitals may have marketing directors, smaller ones don't and I don't want to be the idiot who calls with no idea of what information they're looking for. He just expects us to do everything on our own but he's so damn picky about everything... and he gives us all zero direction. Isn't he supposed to be the leader? So that sucked...

Friday evening Brett and I met up with his mom and her friend, and her friend's daughter, at Garozzo's before we went to Jazz in the Woods. It's this free show that's held in Corporate Woods every year, and it's pretty fantabulous. But we decided to have a stuffed artichoke and wine first.


After Garozzo's, we went to the Woods. Jazz in the Woods is a weekend-long event. Friday's headliner was Average White Band. They were pretty decent! Afterwards, we were packing the chairs up and getting ready to leave, Joni and I switched chairs and in the process, one of them fell on my big toe. I held back my cry of pain because I didn't think it was any big deal. But as Brett and I were walking away, I was thinking, [utter favorite expletive phrase in 3...2...1...] "Sweet fancy Moses on buttered toast, this still hurts!" So I bent down to check it and nearly passed out with nausea at what I saw. Apparently the chair had cracked the nail - there was this huge chunk almost entirely broken off. Let me make an illustration: *Stupid Blog people! There is an ongoing problem concerning picture posting. So it's their fault that you can't see my lovely drawing.*


That didn’t stop me from going to the pool with Brett and lounging all day on Saturday. Although when we got back to the apartment, Brett made a startling discovery – Gilbert was missing. Before we went to the pool, Brett got him out and put him in our Papasan Chair. He thought I had put him back in the cage, I thought he had put him back in the cage, so we went on our merry way to the pool. Gilbert took advantage of his brief freedom. It wasn’t difficult to find him, thank goodness. He had ventured into Neil’s room and took refuge under the bed. It took us awhile to lure him out. But we finally did with the magic of cantaloupe. Bun has always been partial to fruit.

Neil left this weekend. He’s gone for the summer. He has an internship in western Kansas somewhere. Then when he comes back in August, he’s moving to his new house. So we are alone. And it’s weird. Just that there’s not another person in the house. It’s just us. We are officially cohabitating!

Sunday, Jill and her boyfriend came over to chill at the pool with us. We got some beer and a jug of pre-made margaritas. As it turned out, I was the only one in the mood for margaritas. Once we were poolside, the drinks got cracked open. Those margaritas were dangerously refreshing. I had just a few too many… I ended up passing out on one of the chairs for about an hour… then I made my way back up the apartment and fell asleep again in our room…on the floor…laying on body pillow….still in my swimsuit. When I woke up (again – probably about an hour later) I was in shorts and a T-shirt. Brett said he put them on me. They were all down by the pool again grilling the burgers and hot dogs. So I trekked back down there.

When they had left, and it was just Brett and me, he settled in to play some Zelda and I washed the chlorine out of my hair. And that’s when a wave of homesickness came over me. I brushed it off and went back to the living room where Brett was playing this CD… Sondre Lerche. On this particular album, he just does covers of songs like Night and Day, You Knocked Me Off of My Feet, and others. It’s worth checking out. Anyway, for one reason or another it reminded me of being at home in Wichita with my mom on a Saturday night and her listening to Prairie Home Companion (the movie, she says, is excellent) and the kind of music they play on that program… even though it’s not really like the music they play on that program. Follow? Anyway and then the homesickness came back… so that wasn’t fun. So then I went to bed around 9:30… I was still just exhausted.

Ohhhh I had a rough night ahead of me.

Fast forward to midnight. I woke up feeling all kinds of awful. I ended up paying homage to the porcelain god twice… Ugh. No fun. And of course, then – despite whether or not you brush your teeth immediately after – you still wake up with the most horrible aftertaste.


I got up at 5:50 a.m. Bunny had to be dropped off at the vet by 7 a.m. Poor thing was scared. He knew something unpleasant was going to happen. He was shaking the whole way. We were the first ones there this morning. One of the ladies there asked where they were supposed to put a rabbit. The other one answered, “Surgery, back with the cats.” Poor Gilbert had to be housed with four cats! Oh poor thing….

Before I left though, I was stopped by one of my downstairs neighbors. He was asking me if I wanted to give his older son (Alex, who is probably 6) piano lessons. I was a little bit caught off guard with the proposal. Sure, I could give him lessons. But I have no idea how to go about starting off a pure beginner. I know they don’t have a piano, and I’m not sure if they even have a keyboard. And that is essential – because two thirds of learning piano is practicing. And I’m sorry, but I don’t really want him traipsing up to my apartment every day to practice for half an hour. They would also need to buy him all the piano books. I’d lend him mine but: 1) they’re in Wichita, and 2) he really needs his own because mine are covered in scribbles from my own teachers. So I need to look into these factors…. Hell, what would I charge? These are nice people and since they might need to buy a keyboard and all this music, I don’t want to overcharge. It’s a conundrum…

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?