Thursday, April 13, 2006

911 is getting lazy - and ignorant.

Did anyone see the story about the boy whose mother died because when he called 9-1-1 the operator dismissed his call as a prank? Yeah. I sincerely hope that dispatcher loses her job. She, and the other dispatcher handling the call, are still on the job while a full investigation is being conducted. That's crap. At least suspend them. I feel so bad for this poor kid. He is 6-years-old. His mom passed out so he calls 9-1-1 only to be told to "stop playing on the phone."

In a related experience (only in the sense that 911 is involved) I came home from work one night all kinds of excited because I had just met Vanilla Ice (he came into Outback!) and I pick up the phone to call my friend. I misdialed with the area code so I hung up and redialed. Apparently I had dialed 9-1-1 in the process. So I'm on the phone with my friend and I hear a knock at the door. I MISDIALED 9-1-1 and they sent cops over. Which is great really because that means that they're doing their job. But when a kid calls - a little kid - they should never be so presumptuous to say "don't play on the phone" and hang up on them. They should always, always take them seriously!! That's just awful.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?