Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Nori Poisoning

Last night was filled with Christmas presents, homemade sushi, and barfing. It was lovely.

First off, yesterday evening while I was still lounging at work, I noticed a dull but persistent pain in my back - around the kidney region. Didn't think anything of it. Then I'm en route to the apartment and I got stopped at a light, and these two thug-looking guys run out in the street around the cars and I was sure they were going to carjack someone. Who runs out into the middle of the street and continues jogging down the center dotted line?? It was freaky.

Brett and I picked last night to have our Christmas because he has to work tonight and tomorrow, and then Friday I'm going to Wichita. I was so relieved because keeping his presents a secret has proved quite taxing. I love giving presents away. :) Particularly presents I KNOW the recipient will just love. He got me this GREAT Fossil watch! I suck at showing how much I like presents usually so he thought that I didn't really like it and I wasn't excited. But it's so cool. I'm so hip now. :) Is it sad that my boyfriend has better taste in clothes and accessories than I do? But that's beside the point... Its got a thick, brown leather strap with a gorgeous face - and I can't really describe it beyond that, but suffice it to say that I love it! :) He also got me Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and a Belgian waffle maker. And the movie Garden State. The funny thing about Garden State is Brett was going on about how much HE liked that movie. So I have been reiterating to my parents over and over, "Get Brett Garden State!" And I get it from him. :) It was so funny. What are the frickin' odds?!

I got Brett: 1) Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, special edition DVD, 2) a domed popcorn popper - it's old school and very awesome, 3) Simpsons Operation, 4) Battleship, and a box with a masher, baster and tongs.

We thought we'd get in a game of Operation before we crashed. So Brett was out on the patio and I thought I'd practice a bit. My face was right by the board and I was concentrating real hard - and it buzzed - and I screamed - like a little girl. Like, REALLY screamed. It was sooooooooooo hilarious. :) Brett was out on the deck cracking up.

Before bed, Brett decided to make a snack of sushi rice and he tried his hand at making a roll. When he was visiting Neil in Japan, they had this Onigiri (oh-knee-GEAR-ee) that had tuna (regular canned tuna) mixed with mayonnaise in the center. That's what Brett made, except in roll form not Onigiri form. He used the nori (seaweed) that my mom had gotten for him last Christmas. And we had been warned by Neil that nori can go bad. But here's what Brett was thinking, and I would've totally agreed: it was in an air-tight seal and hadn't been opened at all so it was fine. It was really really NOT fine.

Two or three hours later I woke up feeling soooo miserable. The pain in my back had increased to excruciating and I felt completely ill. So I puked. Then I got back in bed and my back hurt so bad I didn't think I'd get back to sleep. I would have SWORN that I had a kidney infection. But I did eventually fall back asleep, only to be awoken by Brett's race for the bathroom. Damn that nori! It was completely foul. Word of advice: do NOT - EVER - eat nori that's been sitting around for a long time.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?